Here are a few more photos from the Abbey Lounge Reunion at Sally O’Brien’s. This time it’s The Drags rippin’ it up like the good riff-heads they are.
Are you NUTZ?!?! Are you AQUANUTZ?!?! AWWWW YEAH!
OK, I don’t know where I’m going with this. Let’s jump to the photos. Here’s Aquanutz at Once to help out a friend in need.
I’m probably the last person to post photos of Aquanutz from The Drax release show. So be it. Here are a few more shots of Boston’s finest hairspray and leather revelers headed out to where the down boys go.
The TT’s Holiday Party closed out with a set of hair metal classics from Aquanutz. There were ample amounts of hairspray and high-proof alcohol in use for authenticity. Both fueled a kind of debauchery fitting of the source material. I’m pretty sure this show landed a few people on the naughty list.
Need proof that you can be a killer rock ‘n’ roll band while playing more that four chords? Look no further than Gymnasium. This crew made their elaborate arrangements sound downright urgent at The Daykamp Poster & Photo Show. Oh, and Melissa’s “Do It For Johnny” shirt was a nice touch.
Daykamp Music’s Top 5 Moments From Aquanutz Playing A Birthday Party
- Trying to guess which line of “I Remember You” would come next.
- There was a hairbrush. On the stage. On a mic stand.*
- Rodd Godd singing “Baby don’t stop / Take me to the top / And eat it like a piece of cake” while eating an actual piece of cake.
- “Bringin’ On The Heartbreak” sounded amazing. AMAZING.
- “You wanted the best… you got Aquanutz.”
* Hint: Look near Rodd Godd’s knees in the wide shots.
So, yeah, Aquanutz. I grew up on this stuff*, so I’m predisposed to like it. Hair metal is a thing for me. Plus, you guys/gals are/were in all kinds if sweet bands like Brownboot, The Decals, Gymnasium, Darkbuster, Cocked N’ Loaded, Heavy Stud, The Raging Teens, Noble Rot, Full Body Anchor, The Dents and about a thousand others. You’ve got a lot going for you. Oh, who am I kidding? You have everything going for you. I’m trying not to overplay my hand, but this friggin’ rules. You’re loose when you need to be loose and you’re tight when you need to be tight.** You rock the Whitesnake, White Lion, Poison, Bon Jovi, Lita Ford and Van Halen. I smile. I even tolerate your Scorpions.
Aquanutz, you play hair metal covers in Boston*** and I love you for it. Thanks.
* Well, this stuff, Barry Manilow, Anne Murray, Barbra Streisand and Barry Gibb, anyway.
** Matt’s solo in “Wait” = tight. Damn. Note perfect. It’s rare that a guitar solo gets a genuine round of mid-song applause these days. This one was well deserved.
If you’re going to throw a big birthday bash for your club with 14 bands over 12 hours, you better make sure whoever plays last can bring it. Richard Bouchard, who did an amazing job putting together One Year Of Radio*, wisely tapped Brownboot for the task of closing out the night. Their killer rhythm section and a double dose of guitar and vocal pyrotechnics made them a natural choice to close out a night that celebrated all that Aimee McGrath and the whole crew over at Radio have done for this community.
* Richard also happens to run the supermegafantastic Boston Band Crush, which was recently nominated for a Boston Music Award. Go vote for Boston Band Crush and then come back and look at these pictures.